RE: Literals: lexical spaces and value spaces

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:45:05 -0600
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 07:38 PM 11/13/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>I was under the impression that XML Schema datatypes DID satisfy
>>the required conditions. To fail, we need the following
>>circumstances: two datatypes D1 and D2 with the value space of D1
>>being a subset of that of D2, and the lexical space of D1
>>intersecting that of D2, and D1 having a different, and
>>incompatible, lexical-to-value mapping on that intersection from
>>that used by D2.
>I'm still bothered by the way you're describing this.  The problem I
>understand you're trying to avoid is that RDF(S) inferences may end
>up licensing incompatible literal datatype mappings.

>  I would expect the above to read:
>... To fail, we need the following circumstances: two datatypes D1 and D2
>     with any instance of D1 being inferable to also be an instance of D2,
>     ********************************************************************
>and the lexical space of D1 intersecting that of D2, and D1 having a
>different, and incompatible, lexical-to-value mapping on that
>intersection from that used by D2.
>In RDF(S), I understand that value space subsetting is not, of
>itself, sufficient to draw subclass inferences.  Am I wrong?  (I
>understand DAML+OIL is different.)

No, you are right, and I was being sloppy. I should have said
something like: ....the value space of D1 being an rdfs:subClassOf
that of D2...., referring of course to the extensions.

But you know, I feel that a datatyping scheme that would break - not
just barf, but give wrong answers - when subclass reasoning was
extensionally accurate, was far too 'fragile' for practical use, even
if it could be made to work on paper.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax