RE: datatypes and MT

Agreed. The value is denoted by the pairing of lexical form to data type.

> >  Now, the question arises, is
> >  that semantic value a string or (say) a number? The
> various proposals
> >  answer that question differently.
>
> indeed
> I think that following assertions
>
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:decimal.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:string.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:float.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:double.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:gYear.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:gMonth.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:gDay.
>   "10" rdf:type xsd:hexBinary.
>
> are making sense,

But only if you really mean that each literal above
is a separate, unique node and that node has context
within a specific statement. I.e.

_1:"10" rdf:type xsd:decimal.
_2:"10" rdf:type xsd:string.
_3:"10" rdf:type xsd:float.
_4:"10" rdf:type xsd:double.
_5:"10" rdf:type xsd:gYear.
_6:"10" rdf:type xsd:gMonth.
_7:"10" rdf:type xsd:gDay.
_8:"10" rdf:type xsd:hexBinary.

I.e. it is the node, not the literal, that is
the subject of the above statements.

>   "10" rdf:type xsd:decimal; is eg:shoeSize of eg:me.
>
> to say something about a *particular* node
> (because the ';' repeats that particular subject)
> or something like
>
>   eg:me eg:shoeSize "10", [ rdf:type xsd:decimal ].

Do you rather mean

   eg:me eg:shoeSize [ rdf:value "10", rdf:type xsd:decimal ].

or

   eg:me eg:shoeSize _1:"10" .
   _1:"10" rdf:type xsd:decimal .

> Another assumption is that
> http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/w3-rdf-mt-current-draft.html
> is not excluding literals in the rules for RDFS entailment e.g.
>
>   rdfs3
>   xxx aaa uuu . aaa rdfs:range zzz . |- uuu rdf:type zzz .
>           ^^^yyy                        ^^^yyy

If you mean that rdfs:subClassOf relations between data types
defines a relation between lexical spaces, then I disagree.

Cheers,