RE: Literals: lexical spaces and value spaces

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:38:45 -0600
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
>>  >This, of course, presumes that we are not asserting the
>>  >global constraint on data types that the lexical space of
>>  >any data type must be a proper subset of the lexical space
>>  >of all of its superordinate types.
>>  Ah, but we must make that assumption; I have already conceded
>>  that point.
>But XML Schema simple data types fail that requirement. Thus,
>we cannot make that assumption. Only value spaces for XML
>Schema simple types are proper subsets of the value spaces
>of their superordinate types. Lexical space is specific to
>each type. I had hoped that was not the case, but it is.

Can you please elaborate on this point, with an example, as it seems
rather important.

I was under the impression that XML Schema datatypes DID satisfy the
required conditions. To fail, we need the following circumstances:
two datatypes D1 and D2 with the value space of D1 being a subset of
that of D2, and the lexical space of D1 intersecting that of D2, and
D1 having a different, and incompatible, lexical-to-value mapping on
that intersection from that used by D2.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax