Re: DATATYPES: mental dump.

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:18:02 -0800
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
CC: phayes@ai.uwf.edu, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

Patrick,

for some reason your most recent X-scheme related posting still did not
propagate to my mailbox (I found it in the archive of rdf-core).

Question: do you assume that namespaces are part of the model? For
example, given a URV like xsd:integer:10, is it possible to extract the
namespace xsd:integer unambiguously? (My guess is that the URI encoding
alone is not sufficient, i.e., by looking at
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer:10 it is not obvious whether
the datatype would be http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer or
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#).

Related question: how do you refer to a datatype? Would you use a
resource URI like http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#integer to refer to
integers? What is the nature of the relationship between a resource like
that and other URV-resources that have the above URI as a prefix?

Another thing: could you highlight some of the options of encoding the
interpretation shown in

http://WWW-DB.Stanford.EDU/~melnik/rdf/datatyping/fig/motivating_example.gif

in the X scheme (just the 'compact' version)? Would it be something like

_Jenny x:weight urv:kg:decimal:12

where urv:kg:decimal:12 denotes m1, or

_Jenny x:weight _w
_w     x:kg     urv:decimal:12