Re: incomplete datatyping (was: Re: datatypes and MT)

At 06:35 PM 11/6/01 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>and b) it transfigures the model
>>theory in such a way that I (and maybe others with similarly limited
>>mental abilities) have hard times understanding it - to the contrary of
>>my belief that MT is there to help clarify things.
>
>Well, I confess that I have not done a very good job of explaining the
>idea intuitively, but it really is not very complicated once you get used
>to it. It doesn't change any of the rest of the model theory, by the way:
>the extra machinery only comes into play when literals are around. And I
>would say that while the MT is there to help clarify things, it does that
>by being precise, rather than by being simple.

Yes... I see the primary purpose of the MT is to give us a sound foundation
for RDF, and to avoid the gotcha's that have plagued V1.0.   I don't expect
DPH to read the MT to clarify his understanding of RDF;  rather, we who do
read and agree on the MT can, as a result, should be able to present a
description and test cases that is consistent and well-founded and
consequently easier to follow.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>