Re: Data Types Use Cases

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:12:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Brian McBride wrote:

> Thanks to Graham for his rapid and excellent response on a use case for data
> types in RDF.  I wanted to ask the WG for other complimentary use cases from
> their own experience, including specifically:
>
>     RSS    Aaron
>     PRISM  Ron
>     DC     Danbri
>     SWAD   DanC
>
> Any others?

In general, I'd like to see an explanation* of how to handle the
following DTs:

	months (ie, finitely enumerable, which includes a lof of DL
		cases)

	integers (with: natural numbers, and the reals)

	shoe sizes (or distance, or some other DT that's based on
		(say) integers with units)

	first name (ie, "just" a literal string - it's pretty unconstrained -
		but it has a semantics above just being a literal)

...which seems to cover the example cases we've been talking about. It's
quite possible that we don't need to do anything special for some of
these.

jan

* where explanation = convincing story how, or good reason why not.

Semantic rules, OK?