Re: datatypes and MT (things versus their names: PRIMER)

Pat Hayes wrote:

> >Brian McBride wrote:
[...]
> >People often write
> >   :s eg:shoeSize "10".
> >   :s nav:date "2001-11-02".
> >   :s nav:time "16:14".
> >   :s nav:flightNum "1154".
> >   :s nav:customerNumber "678".
> >   :s apt:latitude "50-54N".
> >   :s apt:longitude "004-32E".
> >   :s apt:elevation "58M".
> >or in general
> >   :s :p "ooo".
> >and I believe that is a shorthand for
> >   :s :p [ rdfs:str "ooo" ].
> >(I used to prefer rdfs:label instead of rdfs:str
> >but now I think that rdfs:str is a better name for
> >the property mapping a data value (that bNode)
> >to it's string representation)
>
> I have serious problems with this. For a start, why on earth would
> anyone say that latitude and longitude and elevation were *strings*?
> They clearly aren't strings, so this is just plain wrong.

(a) I agree people write stuff this way, and (b) I agree
it's just plain wrong, so (c) I think it's critical that
this issue (things versus their names, numbers vs. numerals...)
is treated by the primer.

Case in point: folks write
	<dc:creator>Dan Connolly</dc:creator>
as if a character sequence "D" "a" "n" ... wrote a book.
It's critical that we teach folks to write
	<dc:creator>
	  <Person>
	    <fullName>Dan Connolly</fullName>
          </Person>
        </dc:creator>

or, more briefly:
	<dc:creator contact:fullName="Dan Connolly"/>