Re: heading toward datatyping telecon

>Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>Oh, I agree its not helpful to conflate them. But let me probe this
>>other usage a little. Consider various kinds of numerals, eg
>>decimal, hexadecimal, octal, binary. Obviously these all have the
>>same value space, so it doesn't make sense to use something like
>>'octal number' to refer to a value space. So I'm left wondering
>>what this usage is supposed to mean.  For example, what is a
>>decimal *integer* ?
>

>Yes, I agree.  That's why I don't expect to see arcs labelled
>rdf:type with xsd:integer at the sharp end.  I expect rdf:type to
>identify the class of the node at its blunt end,

?? Sorry, maybe I am not following your sharp and blunt ends. (I
assume the blunt end is the subject and the sharp end is the object
in an RDF triple, right?)

If we were to write a class name at the blunt end we would be
attributing a property to the *class*, right? Do you mean something
like

xsd:integer rdf:type rdf:DataType .

??

>  and I think of the class of the object as identifying its value
>space, and is independent of its lexical space.
>
>My mental model.  I can change it its wrong; but I don't think its uncommon.
>
>Brian

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes