Re: datatypes and MT

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:12:32 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 03:06 AM 11/5/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >  Are there
> > advantages to that which you have written over:
> >
> >         <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
> >           <shoeSize dt:decimal="10"/>
> >          </rdf:Description>
>er... is that RDF/xml syntax? can propElts take propAttrs?
>indeed... from the RDF validator, I see it works like...
>   _:x <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#decimal> "10".
>   <#me> <http://example/vocab#shoeSize> _:x.
>Yes, that's quite nice: regard dt:decimal as a relationship
>between its value space and its lexical space. I like it.

Nifty, maybe.  But I fear that growing dependency on these subtleties of
RDF/XML syntax may raise the barrier to entry to using RDF.  You, one of
the more experienced users of RDF, weren't sure about the validity of the
syntax used.

I think we need to nail down the handling of simpler cases before getting
too involved in arcane syntax options.  By simpler cases, I mean how are we
to interpret simple RDF like this:

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">

   <rdfs:Property rdf:about="http://example.org/shoesize">
     <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />