Re: datatypes and MT

At 06:31 PM 11/1/01 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>This mapping XD is similar in some ways to an interpretation mapping I,
>but unlike I, it is assumed that XD is computable (in some way), ie given
>the uri of a datatyping scheme, the machine can somehow access the actual
>DTS and DTC mappings associated with that datatyping scheme and apply them.

Do I understand correctly:  XD is (presumed to be) computable under *any*
interpretation, and independently of the particular interpretation
used?  Or does it depend on the interpretation to map a datatype-scheme-URI
to DTS, etc.?

I'm puzzled by the phrase "URI of a datatype scheme";  reading your words,
it seems to me that it is datatypes (as in lexical -> value mappings) (such
as xsd:integer, etc), or the *members* of DT, that are denoted by URIs.  I
think I'm missing something, but the wording suggests that a "datatype
scheme" covers several datatypes, but later explanations talk about a
datatype scheme as being about a single datatype:

[[[
A datatype is a mapping from a lexical domain (a subset of literals) to a
range of values (a set). A datatype scheme is a set DT plus a fixed mapping
DTS from DT to datatypes.
]]]

and

[[[
Now, a datatyping of a graph is simply a mapping from the literal nodes of
the graph to a datatype scheme, ie an assignment of a type to each literal
node of the graph.
]]]

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>