Re: Issue #rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:34:08 -0700
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
CC: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> What I've seen so far is an answer that says the spec doesn't allow it.
> I feel that doesn't fully answer the issue raised.

I know that Dave seems to feel differently about this, but I see a simple
solution to this and empty property elements:

 - Define an empty property element to be an empty literal
 - Define an id and a resource to be the reification of the statement

So simply:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="#foo">
    <bar></bar>
</rdf:Description>

becomes:

<#foo> :bar "" .

and

<rdf:Description rdf:about="#foo">
    <bar rdf:ID="#baz" rdf:resource="#bat" />
</rdf:Description>

becomes:

<#foo> :bar <#bat> .
<#baz> rdf:subject <#foo> ;