Re: Issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdf-ns-prefix-confusion

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:55:59 -0500
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> 7.  Unprefixed attributes not on The List have no meaning in RDF
>   and MUST NOT be used to generate statements.   Processors MUST
>   also skip the element containing such attributes and generate no
>   statements for the entire XML element and content.

>   This is consistent with existing words in RDF M&S describing
>   actions when unknown rdf: attributes are found:
>
>     [[ When an RDF processor encounters an XML element or attribute
>     name that is declared to be from a namespace whose name begins
>     with the string "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax" and the
>     processor does not recognize the semantics of that name then
>     the processor is required to skip (i.e., generate no tuples
>     for) the entire XML element, including its content, whose name
>     is unrecognized or that has an attribute whose name is
>     unrecognized.]]
>     -- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/ section 6

I believe this is incorrect. The words in M&S apply to attributes/elements
beginning with the string "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax" -- rdf:
attributes begin with the string
"http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" and thus this requirement does
not reply to them. I suggest section 7 of your proposal be removed.

Otherwise, the proposal looks quite good.