Re: Issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-empty-property-elements

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:25:14 +0100
CC: RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Hi Jan,

Thanks for this.

Jan Grant wrote:

> Grammar production 6.3 is
>   [6.3] description    ::= '<rdf:Description' idAboutAttr? bagIdAttr? propAttr* '/>'
>                          | '<rdf:Description' idAboutAttr? bagIdAttr? propAttr* '>'
>                             propertyElt* '</rdf:Description>'
>                          | typedNode

Is it not production 6.12 we are concerned with here?

> It's this last paragraph which is a bit confused. Making it explicit:
> "If E is an empty element (no content) then:
>  - If E has a resource attribute, v is the resource whose identifier
>       is given by the resource attribute of E
>  - Otherwise, if E has parseType="Resource" then v is an anonymous
>    resource; if not, v is the empty literal.
> If E is NOT the empty element,  then:

should this be 'an'?

One more test case to be clear on how an rdf:ID attribute should be interpreted.
Would you agree:

 <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://random.ioctl.org/#bar">
   <random:someProperty rdf:ID="foo" />

should produce:

triple("http://random.ioctl.org/#bar", "http://random.ioctl.org/#someProperty",
triple("#foo", "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type",
triple("#foo", "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#object",literal(""))

> PS. I can attach these examples separately if people prefer;

I'd suggest this would be a good thing to do.  It would be good to have
files of these test cases that folks can get straight off the web.