Re: What do the ontologists want?

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:50:46 -0400
To: "Ron Daniel" <rdaniel@interwoven.com>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Ron Daniel wrote:

> We will have
> lots of statements such as
>   <dc:subject rdf:resource="http://example.org/NAICS/1234"/>
> which is a reference to a (hypothetical) node in the
> NAICS industry sector classification system.
>
> We need to be able to tell certain things about these
> statements, ...
> One way of accomplishing those needs would be through
> reification, although the current reification approach seems
> overly cumbersome. Perhaps others can suggest other ways
> of fulfilling those requirements.

Certainly being able to quote statements/triples is useful ... indeed a
practical requirement.

For example I've suggested a quoting syntax for triples using an XPointer
extension triple(predicate,subject,object):

http://example.org/your-document.rdf#xmlns(dc="...")triple(dc:subject,
ex:foo, <http://example.org/NAICS/1234>)

This yields a URI which can be discussed as needed.

The paper: http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/RDFmediatype.html

some of this still needs to be fleshed out.

Your comments would be appreciated.

-Jonathan