Re: A shot at http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/Overview.html#rdfms-resource-semanti cs

Brian McBride wrote:

> Frank Manola wrote:
> >
> > As I said in an earlier message, I think we need to clarify what
> > "entity" means in our discussions.  In particular, we need to
> > distinguish between the definition of "entity" in the HTTP spec (where
> > it is some payload that can be returned) and the definition in Brian's
> > model, where "Entities are things like web pages, numbers and trees in
> > the park".
>
> Exactly right.  I may be at fault here for overloading the term.

snip

> > I take Brian's model as being something like this (although Brian is the
> > ultimate source of wisdom for *his* model):
>
> You have expressed it very well.
>
> There are several such 'model theories' if that is the right term that
> will work for us.  I picked this one as it seemed to me most consistent
> with M&S.  However, I'm more concerned that we have agreed on one, than I
> am about any particular one.

I agree.  I don't particularly care what we call the concepts, as long
as they're there, and we gain general agreement on what they are.  In
particular, I think that our "model" (to overload another term) needs to
account both for the "real things" (the trees in the park) *and* for any
electronic things people may keep on the Web to represent those things
(the payloads).  That is, assuming the use of URIs (as currently
intended) as pure identifiers, we want to be able to talk about both the
things the URIs "ultimately" identify, and the things that may be
accessed on the Web when/if these URIs are plugged into Web browsers and
other user agents.

--Frank