Re: log:forSome/#rdfms-identity-anon-resources

>pat hayes wrote:
>[...]
> > The RDF distinction between anonymous nodes and named nodes is
> > logically invisible, as far as I can see.
>
>I have been convinced otherwise. I'm still not certain,
>but let's see if I can reproduce the argument
>and its ability to convince...
>
> > All nodes have an identity,
> > so giving one of them a URI doesnt really change anything about it or
> > what it means. All nodes could be non-anonymous and nothing would
> > change in the meanings of any RDF. Anonymity seems to be a kind of
> > syntactic sweetener which works by removing some bitterness rather
> > than by adding sugar.
>
>I think anonymous nodes have non-trivial expressive power.
>
>In sum: skolemization is *not* a two-way street:
>while a proof of a skolemized formula is generally
>accepted as a proof of the formula with existential
>quantifiers, it doesn't work the other way around.

Yes and no. Its true that you can't get from a proof of the
existential to a proof with any particular skolem constant, ie if you
fix on one skolem constant and then go back to the existential proof
and ask for a proof containing *that* skolem constant, you can't get
it from the existential proof, because to get a skolemised proof you
have to re-skolemise, and every time you do that you will get a *new*
skolem constant. But this new one and the old one are what one might
call functionally equivalent, in that anything that you can prove
about one of them you can also prove about the other (except of
course being equal to itself).

Skolemising an existential is like saying 'OK, at least one thing
exists ..... Choose one of them and call it FOO.' Now, once you have
done that, you can again say 'choose one of them and call it BAZ',
but you can't legitimately use 'FOO' again, since you have no way to
know if you are choosing the same one.

>You lose information when you replace an
>existentially quanitified variable/term with
>a URI.

You don't gain or lose information by skolemising. What you do do, is
provide a name for something that was previously nameless; but you
don't gain any new information about it (unless you count that new
name as new information; but since you generated it, that seems
rather generous.)

>In detail: let's suppose you're buying a book.
>You transmit, to the bookseller, a description
>of the book you want to buy; roughly,
>"it's by Barnsley and it's called
>Fractals Everywhere. I want it in
>hardback, tomorrow."

Ingenious argument. But you have done something slightly odd in your
logic here (maybe there is no way to avoid doing this in RDF, which
is another issue, I'll return to that) by writing this as a simple
existential. If you (just) say that "there exists a book by Barnsley
and its called "Fractals Everywhere" and ..." then, indeed, the
bookseller really has no way to know what you want. He has a book
that satisfies this description, but there's nothing in a simple
existential to guarantee that there might not be something else that
satisfies it as well, so he can have no logical confidence that the
thing he has that satisfies the description is the *same* as the
thing that you have in mind that satisfies the description. If all
that he has to go on is a simple existential, that is.  In order to
know that the thing that you are saying exists is the *same* as the
thing he knows exists, he has to know something else as well, which
is that there is only one such thing (we are talking about books here
as editions rather than copies, I assume). That can be said
explicitly in KIF (FOL) by using universal quantification and
identity, ie instead of just saying

(exists (?x) (and (by ?x Barnsley)...))

you include a statement of identity:

(exists (?x) (and (and (by ?x Barnsley)...)
                           (forall (?y)(implies (and (by ?y Barnsley)...)
                                                         (= ?x ?y))))

which is what Russell gave as the logical gloss for a definite
description, ie this is what you get when you say something about
'THE x which is by Barnsley and ......'. The 'THE' is what pins down
the meaning to a single entity.

Now, if you apply this to your example, there can be two URI's, but
it would follow (either from what you would have said, ie that you
wanted THE book...., or from general knowledge that the bookseller
has about uniqueness of author/title information, or something) that
the two names (URIs) were equivalent, ie had the same denotation; so
now there would be no loss of information at all.

This analysis requires logical apparatus which goes well beyond what
RDF1.0 can do, but another way to think about how to convey the
uniqueness assumption in your order, is to say that the URIs in the
following example are not simple logical constants, but something
more like public names. So the idea would be, here, that instead of
the existential being in your Kbase, then getting sent to the
bookseller, then processed by him in his Kbase, that something more
like a process of setting up a 'common ground' happens, where some of
your assertions and some of the booksellers assertions are brought
into a common area of mutually accepted beliefs, like what seems to
happen in a conversation. If that were possible, then it would be
more like the two sets of beliefs being made to intersect, rather
than thinking of them as communicating with each other, so that this
existential about this book could then be mutually accepted. Then if
it were skolemised *when in the common ground*, then only a single
skolem name would be generated, but it - the new name - would be part
of both your beliefs, and you could both use it to refer to the book
you have agreed to talk about. This is a bit like a conversation
between two mathematicians going like this: