Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:22:15 -0500
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>On Wednesday, June 20, 2001, at 05:53  PM, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>>-- have you ever opened up an HTML page in your browser without a URL?
>>
>>Actually yes, I do it all the time with pages I have saved as files
>>and given private file names to.
>
>Exactly, and those file names created a URL for the document!

No, they did not conform to the W3C rules for URLs, and the files are
not accessible on the Web. (They are on a Zip disc in my desk
drawer.) Not all file names are URLs. File names have been used long
before anyone thought of URLs.

>>HTML is only hypertext, after all, nothing magical.
>
>Perhaps not, but URIs are quite neat.

URIs are not even well-defined, as far as I can tell (apparently,
unicorns have URIs, for example) ; and in any case we were talking
about URLs.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes