Re: Draft Partitioning - Summing up

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:40:15 -0500
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
On Thursday, June 21, 2001, at 02:14  PM, Brian McBride wrote:

> There seems to unanimity in the responses for a partition of the
> technical issues into:
>
>   o an abstract syntax and semantics (previously called core)
>   o schema
>   o vocabularies
>   o RDF/XML syntax

For the record, my proposal did not include a distinction
between schema and vocabularies. However, I would not be against
it as long as there is a clear semantic distinction about the
contents of each.

> I suggest that there is enough agreement around this broad
> partitioning,
> that with the specific proviso that we remain open minded for
> the moment
> about where reification, type and class belong, that we can start to
> move forward with each partition in parallel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "moving forward". I'm all happy to
move forward, and as quickly as possible, but I do not thing it
is a good idea to begin writing/designing these parts without
resolving the extremely important issues that will have major
effects on them. I don't want to get into a situation where
we've built an abstract syntax with literals and then we decide
that they're really "data:" URIs.

So let's resolve these issues, please.