Re: Abstract syntax: an attempt

At 09:36 AM 6/17/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
>

> > NOTE:  "reification" is deliberately called out as a distinct syntax
> > production, so that there is a place to hang the semantics that distinguish
> > it from any other collection of facts.  There is some syntactic ambiguity
> > here that needs to be resolved at some level;  e.g. adjusting the abstract
> > syntax so that rdf:subject, rdf:object, rdf:predicate can appear *only* in
> > a production for R (and not for A).
>
>In M&S 1.0 the statements of a reification (i.e. the rdf:type, rdf:subject,
>etc ...) are no different from other statements.  What difference are
>you considering introducing here?

The fact that a resource that is the subject of a reification quad in some
way stands for the statement with the given subject/predicate/object.   I
think that there will be, at a some level, an interpretation function that
maps resources thus represented to some aspect of the interpretation of a
statement.

I'm not sure how to express this, but I have some vague ideas bumbling
around in my head.  Hopefully they'll settle into something more concrete
that I can offer.

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>