Re: Model-specific identity for anon resources, and its representation: Anew issue?

Jos,

by saying that logical formulae are out of scope I mean that it is not
our job to define a specific logical language on top of the "core". On
the other hand, I'd like to see an extensibility mechanism in place that
allows doing such things.

I think "anonymous resources" as candidates for some sort of logical
variables are so limited that their usefulness / specification effort
ratio is too low to keep them in the spec. However, I believe that some
logical foundation (like model-theoretic semantics) behind RDF may help
to avoid modeling errors.

For example, once we have some sort of semantics behind the "core" in
place,

	X is-a Variable
	X hasColor Gray

would probably mean that X is a gray variable, which does not make much
sense. I wonder, whether we can set up a path that will support giving
logical meaning to constructs like

	EXP is-a LogicalExpression
	EXP hasSubj X
	EXP hasPred hasColor
	EXP hasObj Gray
	X is-a ForAllVariable
	EXP mustBeSatisfiedIn CTX
	CTX contains (Whale_001 hasColor Gray)
	CTX contains (Hair_001 hasColor Gray)

which is still consistent with the semantics of the "core". In the above
example, the interpretation of EXP in the domain of discourse is a
"logical expression", and X maps to a "variable". Using additional
interpretation functions, it may be possible to answer questions like
whether the interpretation of CTX (whatever that is) is say an empty set
or not.

I was just speculating using the above example. I'm sure people like you
and Pat Hayes have a much better understanding of the issues involved,
and can help to strike a path for defining logic on top of RDF. The
specification of a concrete logic is IMO too monumental a task to
address it adequately within the RDFCore WG.

I'm sorry if what I said earlier sounded like logic is unimportant...

Sergey