Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (every document is inthe Web)

Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> > Another subtlety that isn't relevant to the ID/about
> > issue is whether 'resource' is used in the general
> > sense of 'anything in the domain of discourse'
> > (i.e. things you can refer to using absolute-URIs-with-fragments)
> > or in the stricter sense of, roughly, 'something you can
> > get at via the network' (i.e. things you
> > can refer to using absolute-URIs-without-fragments).
>
> I've never seen a clear definition of this 'stricter' sense.

Well, you did a pretty good job of making one up:

> 'those things in the domain that can be named with RFC2396
> identifier strings'

in particular, absolute URIs, without fragments,
from RFC2396.

>? Is there anything more we can say about those things?

There isn't much more that I intend to say about them;
some folks, though, have suggested that they're disjoint
from properties, though; i.e. that dc:title can't
be both a thing that you can HTTP GET *and*
an RDF property. We need better terms just
to have a coherent discussion with such folks!

And as Roy Fielding pointed out, RFC2396 itself
uses 'resource' only in the stricter sense;
he (among others) haven't bought in to the
way the RDF spec uses the term.

[...]

> > The traditional logic-literature
> > term for the more general concept is 'object'; I'd
> > be happy to start using that in these WG discussions.
>
> 'Object Description Framework'? Catchy :)

Ugh... I didn't make the connection to the title...
nor to the acronym 'RDF' itself.