Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:13:46 -0500
Cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: guha@alpiri.com
On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 05:19  PM, R.V.Guha wrote:

> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="#foo"/>
>
> and
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="##foo"/>

Well for one, #foo isn't a valid ID, and for another, Brian's
proposal is to declare these equivalent.

My two cents: I don't think it makes sense to have two different
things in the language that mean the same thing. It causes
confusion (witness the issue itself) and encourages applications
to use it from application-only semantics that will be blind to
RDF parsers (witness PRISM). I still think we should either
deprecate one or add a model representation to it.