Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:00:31 -0500
Cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, guha@alpiri.com, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Sergey Melnik wrote:

> Moreover, if the distinction between relative and absolute URLs
> is required, the parsers will need to support it as well.

What do you mean? Relative URIs are abbreviations for absolute
URIs, and turn out to be very useful in practice. See:

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Model
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ModelConsequences

RDF definitely needs relative URIs. What it sounds like you want
is better ways of dealing with base URIs, which I agree with.