Re: #rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:30:06 +0100
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
CC: guha@alpiri.com, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Sergey Melnik wrote:

> With respect to this and other syntax issues, I'd like to remind of the
> "roundtrip" test, which have been raised many times on RDF Interest: an
> RDF tool must be able to parse, serialize, parse, serialize etc. without
> loss of information, i.e., on every parse, exactly the same set of
> statements is produced. Notice that after the first parse, rdf:ID will
> be necessarity replaced by rdf:about, since the model does not
> intrinsically capture the information about its origin.

If
  <rdf:Description rdf:ID="foo"/>

is defined to be equivalent to, i.e. represents the same triples as:

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="#foo"/>

and the round tripping test is defined to be that XML/RDF before
represents the same triples as the XML/RDF after (i.e. model
equivalence) which I think is the test that you suggest,
then this solution passes the round triping test.