Re: #rdf-containers-syntax-ambiguity, #rdf-containers-syntax-vs-schema

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:14:57 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Brian McBride wrote:
[...]
> I think therefore there is a case to be made for simplifying this aspect of
> the proposal so that rdf:li elements within a description are translated to
> rdf:_nnn where nnn starts at 1 and is incremented by one for each rdf:li
> encountered.

Yes, no more special cases than that, please.

In particular, this rule can be implemented straightforwardly
using XPath; something like: count(previous-sibling::rdf:li).

> This the example given above:
>
>   <rdf:Bag>
>     <rdf:li>1</rdf:li>
>     <rdf:_10>10</rdf:li>
>     <rdf:li>11</rdf:li>
>   </rdf:Bag>
>
> would generate:
>
>   _:genid <rdf:type> <rdf:Bag>.
>   _:genid <rdf:_1>   "1" .
>   _:genid <rdf:_10>  "10" .
>   _:genid <rdf:_11>  "2" .
>
> This solution also neatly ducks the issue of what do to with:
>
>   <rdf:Bag rdf:_1="1" rdf:_2="2">
>     <rdf:li>?</rdf:li>
>   </rdf:Bag>

yup.

(by "ducks" you don't mean "does not answer", right? it
*does* provide an answer in that case, right?

  _:genid <rdf:type> <rdf:Bag>.
  _:genid <rdf:_1>   "1" .
  _:genid <rdf:_2>   "2" .
  _:genid <rdf:_1>   "?" .

That's an inconsistency, since _1 is functional
and "?" <> "1". But inconsistency isn't a syntax issue.

)