Re: (tentative) container model proposal

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: <Ora.Lassila@nokia.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Brian McBride wrote:

> Ora.Lassila@nokia.com wrote:
> [...]
> > For "incomplete", unordered containers, some type of
> > simple "membership" relation might also do...
>
> I've generally assumed the reason for using rdf:_n properties for bags was
> that a graph was considered to be a set of statements, and if one wanted the
> same object in a bag more than once a simple membership property wouldn't
> do.  Was this part of the original WG's thinking or no?  I'm just curious.

I don't remember, but another consideration was related to an artifact of
the XML encoding: RDF had to something that could be serialized within
HTML docs, which means using XML attributes for literal data, eg. <FOO
rdf:_1="a" rdf:_2="b" />. Since XML doesn't allow for repeated attributes
with the same name, so we needed the numbered container-membership
properties.

Dan