[Fwd: aboutEach: attr val use/mention bug]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:48:13 -0500
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Hmm... I thought I was assigned an action to
report a bug in the specification of aboutEach,
but I don't see it.

reviewing the issues list,
this seems to raise a new issue, so I sent it to www-rdf-comments.

It turned out to be more than just a typo...

attached mail follows:

  The value of an aboutEach attribute must be a

  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/#containers

That seems to be a use/mention bug:
The value of an aboutEach attribute is a URI reference;
one that *denotes* a collection, no?

The spec continues:

  Using a distributive referent on a container is the same
  as making all the statements about each of the members

but that doesn't clearly specify how to determine the
members of a container.

For example, consider using a subproperty of rdf:_2
to specify the second member of a collection:

  <r:Description r:about="#books"
    r:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Bag" />

    <r:_1 r:resource="#book1" />

    <ex:member2 r:resource="#book2" />

    <r:_3 r:resource="#book3" />

  <rdf:Description rdf:aboutEach="#books">
    <dc:rights xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">all

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example/vocab#member2">

What are the members of #books? is #book2 one of them?
I can deduce, from the specification of rdfs:subProperty,
that it is. But knowledge of rdfs:subProperty is not
required for parsing rdf:aboutEach syntax, is it?

I tried it with SiRPAC and got:

Errors during parsing

Fatal error: Unresolved internal reference to books
   (Line number = 25, Column number = 4)