Re: A use case for anon nodes - action from telecon

[think this was still stuck in the spam filter -rrs]

To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 10:38 PM 7/23/01 -0700, pat hayes wrote:
>>Graham Klyne wrote:
>>[...]
>> > So where does this leave the original discussion?  I think we still have
>> > every anonymous resource being something whose existence is asserted.
>>
>>Winding back the stack, (is the data still there?) you objected to the
>>use case on the grounds that it represented a query template and was thus
>>not sanctioned by M&S.
>>
>>I think we've got to the point where this is a legitimate use case.  Yes?
>
>I don't think so. At the least, we should put this up as an explicit item
>for discussion: do we have a clear notion of query, and how does it relate
>to the notion of an assertion? (What does it mean to satisfy a query, can
>queries generate other queries, can queries be incorporated into an RDf
>graph (how?), can one query a literal, and so on.)

Pat,

Brian eventually convinced me that his example was NOT a query.

I could be wrong, but you may have been making the same assumption that I
made, namely that the description of the buyer service asserted the
existence of that which was to be purchased.  But on closer examination,
none of the existential variables in the description actually stood for
"roses":  ?x stood for the service, and ?y stood for a concept of quantity
constructed from a number and a unit of weight.

The statement:

     ?x product Roses .

was not saying that ?x was an instance of the product roses;  ?x was the
service, and the above statement was a description of the service.  I think
the implied meaning to an English speaker would have been clearer if the
statement were written as:

     ?x offeredForSaleOrPurchase Roses .

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>