Re: A use case for anon nodes - action from telecon

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:04:52 +0100
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 05:52 PM 7/18/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>>The essence of this issue seems to involve the idea that the
>>act of naming something in the internet is somehow, special.
>>That if a processor is told that something has URI ISBN-12345
>>or whatever, it had better not match that with anything that
>>it does not 'know' is named ISBN-12345.  On the other hand,
>>if a node is not named, then it can be matched with anything
>>that matches its properties.
>
>Pat Hayes has said repeatedly that one can pretty much only infer from an
>existential the same things they could from a specific identifier.
>Obviously, he has studied this more than I have, but it seems to me that
>people are asking anonymous nodes to mean more than they really do.

I agree with your last statement (for some value of "really do mean", since
that's for us collectively to define).

I think the other part of Pat's position here is that when the variable is
used in the query role (i.e. "does something satisfying <foo> exist?" or
"Looking for something that satisfies <foo>"), it is NOT being used as an
existential but (in some sense) as a universally quantified value.

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>