Re: Proposal: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:29:33 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
cc: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>, Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Sergey Melnik wrote:
>
> > Aaron Swartz wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 12:27  PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This is the problem I have. I think all parsers should spit out
> > > equivalent genids for the same document -- the spec should
> > > mandate the genid to use.
> >
> > I agree with Aaron. Otherwise, testing parsers for compliance is tricky.

A quick note to bookmark a point:

emitting the 'same' invented-URIs for un-named resource mentions is
risky: if we make the generated ID purely a function of the bag-of-bytes
XML document we could get situations where relative URIs are used to
mention _different_ resources, but result in a parser emitting the same
generated ID. I don't have time to cook up an example right here, but for
eg. <foo rdf:resource="../index.html"/> in different contexts means
something different, so an rdf/xml doc including that might be mentioning
a different pair of resources.

Dan