Re: #rdfms-xmllang

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:21:54 +0100
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
CC: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 05:40  AM, Brian McBride wrote:
>
> >   All RDF applications
> >   must specify whether or not language tagging in literals is
> > significant;
> >   that is, whether or not language is considered when performing string
> >   matching or other processing.
>
> Or what? Under penalty of death? Seriously, I think that wording
> such as this should be  softened somewhat in the new spec... if
> we don't change xml:lang, that is.

Hey - don't shoot the messenger.  I just thought it would be useful to
know what m&s says on the subject.  There's some more:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-part#216

  As defined by XML, the character repertoire of an RDF string is
  ISO/IEC 10646 [ISO10646]. An actual RDF string, whether in an XML document
  or in some other representation of the RDF data model, may be stored using
  a direct encoding of ISO/IEC 10646 or an encoding that can be mapped to
  ISO/IEC 10646. Language tagging is part of the string value; it is
  applied to sequences of characters within an RDF string and does not have
  an explicit manifestation in the data model.