Re: N-Triples Updated 2001-07-08

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 07:44:11 -0500
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
CC: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Dave Beckett wrote:
> I've updated the N-Triples document at:
>    N-Triples
>    http://purl.org/net/dajobe/2001/06/ntriples/
>    (RCS v1.4)

err... I'm surprised to see comments. Oh well... as
long as it's still line-oriented, that's fine.

But... please don't make the BNF informal by
way of external pointers like...

               See NT-Nmtoken in [XML10-2]
               An absolute URI-reference - see URI-reference in
               RFC 2396 - Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI):
               Generic Syntax

just define absoluteURI as [^<> ]+. (hmmm... the carat
raises the question of what characters are in the compliment...)
and nmtoken as [a-zA-Z0-9]+. And don't call it nmtoken.

Oh... I see this is called out as an issue:
 |Is Nmtoken an XML one or [A-Za-z0-9]+ as used in
 |    n-triples2kif.pl code and n3-simple.pl ?

I don't see any reason to use XML's NMTOKEN construct.
It's unnecessarily hairy.