Re: literals as resources / completion of ACTION 2001-07-06 (dependencies)

Ron Daniel wrote:

snip
> But since we are discussing this anyway:

snip
> As I mentioned on the call, I really worry that homographs are
> going to break this. As an example, if we have the string
> "2001-9" in RDF like:
>   <rdf:Description about="foo.txt">
>     <dc:date>2000-9</dc:date>
>     <x:arith_problem>2000-9</x:arith_problem>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
> and make up a URI like
>   urn:data:literal:2001-9
> how do we indicate that one instance of the literal is to be typed
> as a date and another is to be typed as an expression that will
> evaluate to an integer? We can't just have the obvious
>   urn:data:literal:2001-9    rdf:type    foo:iso-8601
>
> So, I don't think you can copy the string into the URI.

Ron--

A question about the above part of your response.  Don't we have the
same problem with typing these things whether the things are literals or
data-URIs?  In other words, if we use literals, the RDF example becomes
triples like (sorry if I've got the component orders wrong):

date          "foo.txt"    "2000-9"
arith_problem "foo.txt"    "2000-9"

while if we use URIs, the triples become:

date          "foo.txt"    urn:data:literal:2001-9
arith_problem "foo.txt"    urn:data:literal:2001-9

Don't we have to separately attach any type information in either case
(presumably, via the schemas that define "date" and "arith_problem"
respectively)?

--Frank