Re: #rdfms-literals-as-resources in scope?

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 11:20:52 -0400
To: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Brian McBride wrote:

> We need to resolve the question of whether this issue is in scope or not.

My two cents:  I think this issue is out of scope, and essentially
second Ron Daniel's comments.  I think the current M&S is fairly clear
in treating resources and literals differently.  There is certainly room
for further work on this question, but I think this work is tied in with
more general work on clarifying URIs and the whole notion of
"resource".  It also raises some potentially complicated semantic and
reasoning issues (witness the separation of "concrete data types" in
DAML).  I'd like to see the concepts of literal and resource "unified",
but I see this as extension work, rather than fundamental to clarifying
the current abstract model.

--Frank