P3P: A reification use case #1

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:04:17 +0000
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
I have recently been working on an RDF schema for representing P3P
(Platform for Privacy Preferences) which is in last call.  I came across
two cases where reification could be used.  This post describes the first.

P3P documents define a mechanism for describing data which I have rendered
into RDF e.g.

   [ ]---rdf:type-->[p3p:User]

    +----p3pb:bdate.ymd.year-->"1999"

    +----p3pb:bdate.ymd.month->"February"

A P3P profile describes what data is collected by a web site.  One way to
represent this is to say (simplified for clarity):

    [website]--p3p:collects-->[ ]--rdf:type-->[rdf:Statement]

                               +---rdf:predicate-->[p3pb:bdate.ymd.year]

ie the site collects statements whose predicate is p3pb:bdate.ymd.year.

Brian