Re: Resolution for rdfms-fragments

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:02:15 -0600
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2001-12-07 3:44 AM, "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> proposed:

> [...] any other resemblence with RFC
> 2396 is co-incidental except in the one case when the URI reference is:[...]

I suppose we could make this decision. I would find it somewhat
disappointing and inconsistent with the marketing put out by W3C, but I
could live with it.

Just to clarify what I mean, take a look at the top of the W3C's Semantic
Web page, which reads (emphasis added):

[[[
"The Semantic Web is an *extension of the current web* in which information
is given well-defined meaning, better enabling computers and people to work
in cooperation." -- Tim Berners-Lee, James Hendler, Ora Lassila, The
Semantic Web
]]] - http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

It would certainly clear up a lot of confusion if we said that the URIs RDF
talks about are just random strings, and not related to the URIs everyone
expects them to be.