Re: PL: how a perl programmer might do datatypes in RDF

Dan,

I think that's a reasonable and consistent answer, but I'll note that's not
what Perl does.
The following script:

#!/local/bin/perl
$a="10";
$b="010";
$c=10;
if ( $a==$b )
     {
     print "Equal '$a', '$b', '$c'\n";
     }
else
     {
     print "Not equal '$a', '$b', '$c'\n";
     }

prints:
     Equal '10', '010', '10'

I suppose that you could argue that '==' invokes a higher level of
interpretation.

At 10:50 AM 12/6/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > I think the issue of "10" vs "010" needs to be clear -- you seem to be
> > proposing that these ares distinct scalar values.
>
>yes; they are distinguishable in all interpretations.
>
> >  But under what
> > conditions does:
> >
> >      X foo "10" .
> >
> > entail
> >
> >      X foo "010" .
> >
> > ?
>
>it never RDF-entials nor RDFs-entials.
>
>However, in stuff layered on top of RDF/RDFS,
>if you added more axioms about foo... say, that
>         ?x foo ?a
>         ?a sameNumber ?b
>implies
>         ?x foo ?b