Re: completion of action: 2001-07-27#2 (long) (use/mention in reification)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:15:13 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Brian McBride wrote:
> >
> > pat hayes wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Wait a minute. The subject is a URI, not a Resource, right?  The
> > > Resource is what the subject (a piece of syntax) denotes, not the
> > > subject itself.
>
>That's what you'd think, coming from a logic background, but
>as Brian points out, RDF says the subject of
>	Mary hit the ball.
>
>is a female person, not a word starting with 'M'.
>
>This is mother of all use/mention bugs, IMO.
>
>cf

Indeed. If we have to take this seriously then I withdraw the model
theory, since it can't possibly work. Such a beastie, consisting of
triples of real things, isn't even a language, so it can't have a
semantics. (It also cannot have a grammar, by the way, since BNF only
refers to strings of symbols, and my mother isn't a symbol.)

Pat Hayes

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)
phayes@ai.uwf.edu