Introduction: Jeremy Carroll

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:36:19 +0100
To: "rdf core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I am the newly appoined principal rep from HP.
I am one of the 'new to RDF' members, who hope nevertheless to make a
worthwhile contribution.

I work in HP Labs, Bristol in the RDF/Semantic Web activity.

Brian McBride started that activity last year, and I joined him in January.

I have consciously not joined the working group for quite a while now.  We
felt that our HP labs team would be better balanced if I made other
contributions.

Instead, I have been adding new features to Jena: the abbreviated syntax
writer; the graph comparison algorithm; and most recently another RDF
parser.

We have revised this earlier decision in light of the face-to-face;
particularly
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20010801-f2f/2001-08-02.html#T18-22-32 .

I have been a researcher at HP Labs for nearly ten years, before that I was
a research associate at the University of Manchester (UMIST).

I have worked in a variety of areas. Those of relevance include:
+ computational linguistics, grammars, compilers
+ massive distributed databases
+ distributed systems
+ web services
+ model based reasoning
+ logic programming
+ paraconsistency

I also have a strong mathematics background, particularly on the pure side.

My greatest disappointment :-( with the RDF community is that no one has
followed the ARP URL up one to my homepage
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/jjc and then e-mailed me to say how
wonderful my triangles are. (They are, even if I have to say so myself).

Looking forward to working with you all.

Jeremy Carroll
HP Labs, Bristol.