A short comment:

From: Raman T. V. <raman@mv.us.adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:23:53 -0800
To: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
Cc: raman@mv.us.adobe.com
I'll mail this out while it's fresh in my head:

The  document
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Math/Group/Wolfram/general.html
contains the following statement
which I completely disagree with (at least as stated here).

Rendering into other media (such as speech) is expected to communicate,
essentially, a "mental picture" of the 2-dimensional form of an
expression. (Rationale: since almost all mathematics is conventionally
expressed in 2-dimensional graphical form, most notations in that medium have
no standard version in other media.)

Reason I disagree:

Renderings in speech need to convey more than a "2D picture" of the
expression.  Check out (listen to ) some of the demos on my AsTeR WWW site--
they make the point about spoken renderings being *independent* of the visual
2D layout far better than I am capable of in a plain-text email message.

Given that the contentious statement appears in our "rationale"  document, I
thought it sufficiently importatn to have clarified.

--Raman

 Thanks,
 --Raman

--

Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (415) 962 3945   (B-1 115)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (415) 962 6063
      1585 Charleston Road          Email: raman@adobe.com
      Mountain View, CA 94039 -7900  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://www-atg/People/Raman.html (Internal To Adobe)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
            as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.