C14N: processing instructions (PIs) appearing within the document type declaration (DTD)

From: Nikolay Glushnev <Nikolay.Glushnev@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:48:56 -0700
To: "w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

According to XPath Data Model: "There are no Processing Instruction Nodes for processing instructions that are children of a document type declaration information item."
(see "I.5 Processing Instruction Nodes Information Items")
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/

Does this imply that PIs appearing within DTD must NOT be rendered to canonical output?

For example, if input XML file is:
<!DOCTYPE x PUBLIC "myX" "x.dtd" [
 <?t2 t2-body ?>
 <!ENTITY a "aVal"> ]>
<x>y</x>

Then I can think of two possible outputs:

Output#1:
<x>y</x>

Output#2:
<?t2 t2-body ?>
<x>y</x>

Is Output#1 the canonical form of the input XML file?

XML-C14N spec clearly states that comment nodes appearing within DTD must not be rendered to the canonical form. I'd like to confirm that it's also true for PIs.

Regards,
Nikolay Glushnev

Microsoft
Software Design Engineer