Re: Test Case with xml-dsig

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:40:07 +0000
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: John Boyer <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>, Joseph Reagle <reagle@mit.edu>, Gabe Wachob <gwachob@wachob.com>, public-xml-id@w3.org, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM> writes:

> / John Boyer <JBoyer@PureEdge.com> was heard to say:
> | C14N isn't "just plain broken" with respect to xml:id.
> |
> | C14N was produced years before xml:id and therefore
> | "does not support" xml:id.
>
> No offense was intended, please accept my apologies for not expressing
> that more carefully.
>
> C14N was written with the assumption that all attributes in the xml:
> namespace were inherited by their descendants. When C14N was written,
> the only examples of attributes in the xml: namespace were xml:lang,
> xml:space, and xml:base, all of which behave in this way.

Er, no, xml:base (which may or may not have come later), certainly
does _not_ behave that way.  Consider

<root xml:base="../elsewhere" xlink:href="relative.html">
 <internal xlink:href="relative.html"/>
</root>

Those two hrefs are to the _same_ absolute URI, which would not be
true if xml:base were copied downwards!

Richard Tobin first pointed this out, as far as I know.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk