Re: ebXML/EDIFACT, layer of "trust", URI vs. OID

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:06:46 -0500
To: "Szabó Áron" <baron@interware.hu>
Cc: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

On Friday 28 February 2003 04:23, Szabó Áron wrote:
> My question: Which document (standard, recommendation etc.)
> should I download, buy etc. to be able to create (exact syntax
> and list of tags) - standardized - XSD files for a web shop
> (ebXML/EDIFACT (?) message with XML digital signature)?

I don't know. I'm not sure if such a standard exists yet, but I don't follow
the ebXML/EDIFACT work closely.

> My question: Will "web of trust" be based on Trusted Third Party
> model (PKI technology)?

I typically use the term for decentralized, friend-of-friend sort of
relationships, not heirchical PKI. Regardless, with respect to the future,
who can say.

> My question: Will there be a translation between OIDs and URIs? Which
> will be preferred?

In the XML context, we prefer URIs. As you noted, one can map a URI to an
OID if appropriate.