Re: SOAP Message Canonicalization - New Version

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:33:21 -0500
To: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Cc: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, w3c-xml-protocol-wg@w3.org, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>

On Friday 24 January 2003 15:44, Marc Hadley wrote:
> I don't intend to imply that it could be used as a
> CanonicalizationMethod, perhaps the sentence should be reworded as:
>
> "It is always used in conjunction with a CanonicalizationMethod (e.g.
> XML Canonicalization [XML C14N] or Exclusive XML Canonicalization [EXCL
> C14N]) and may also be used in conjunction with other Transform
> algorithms1."

I think the bit that is confusing me is you are using the
'CanonicalizationMethod' element name, so I read that as it can be used
with that element. If you replaced 'CanonicalizationMethod' with
'canonicalization algorithm' that source of confusion goes away! <smile/>

> Hmmm, I see your point. I was using canonicalization in its broader
> sense. I'd prefer to keep the current name but I could probably live
> with something like "SOAP Message Normalization (soap-n11n)" - I think
> 'Identity Transform' could be confusing since it would imply that
> nothing is changed which is true semantically but not lexically.

Message Normalization sounds good to me.