Re: Problem in exclusive canonicalization? encoding underspecified

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:29:48 -0400
To: Carl Ellison <cme@jf.intel.com>
CC: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org

>>The document says "namespace nodes that are not on the
>>InclusiveNamespaces PrefixList are expressed only in start tags
>>where they are visible and if they are not in effect from an output
>>ancestor of that tag."

> I would love to know what that quoted paragraph means.  The various
> times I've tried to read and understand it, it rolled off my mind
> like water off a sheep's fur.  Can anyone translate?

It means this:
     for all xmlns:XXX in the element
        IF xmlns:XXX not already in output with the same value
        and (one of the element's attributes uses the XXX namespace
prefix OR the XXX prefix is in the PrefixList)
             output the xmlns:XXX declaration
      END FOR

Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com