Re: Last call announcement for Namespaces 1.1

On Thursday 05 September 2002 09:31 am, Paul Grosso wrote:
> The XML Core WG announces Last Call of "Namespaces in XML 1.1"
> available at http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xml-names11-20020905/ .
>
> Please note the availability of the version with differences
> (with the 1.0 Recommendation) highlighted at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xml-names11-20020905/WD-xml-names11-20020905
>-diff.html for your reviewing convenience.

"IRI References" Are these defined anywhere else? I think it makes sense to
define such a thing (so we don't have to keep repeating it in every spec),
but I'm not sure if it should be defined in the namespace spec, or if "IRI"
is the best term... maybe "iURI"...

> The XML Core WG welcomes comments from all during the Last Call
> period, but we particularly request that the follow WGs commit
> to providing whatever feedback they have by September 28th:
>
> * XML Schema
> * XML Query (already committed)
> * XSL (already committed)
> * DOM
> * I18N
> * HTML (already committed)
> * RDF Core

Does the fact that xmldsig is not designated mean you are already confident
that the introduction of Namespaces 1.1 will not affect canonicalized forms
of XML? Or that new versions of those specifications (and XPath even) are
needed to accommodate the change? Do you expect NS1.1 to be used with
XML1.0, or only XML1.1? On quick review, I believe that because of the
existing normative references, and the change that a namespace also applies
to attributes (section 5.1) this would require new versions of XPath,
c14ns, and xmldsig.