Re: exc c14n bugs

On Thursday 06 June 2002 08:41 am, merlin wrote:
> I agree that omitting this definition does cause problems with
> (non-pejoratively) naïve textual wrapping. In particular; pure
> c14n (as recommended by the spec) is not a good serializer
> for XML encryption because the wrapping and parsing language
> will cause problems.

As an aside, this xmlns="" problem when inserting an XML fragment into
another instance is similar to the problems we discovered with xml:lang,
xml:base, and xml:space [1]. Applications need to take care of of these
sorts of attributes at the boundary of any subsetting and insertions...
I've already added Merlin's proposed text to xenc for consideration, shoud
we also add a line to [1]?

http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xml-exc-c14n.html#sec-Limitations
The XML being canonicalized may depend on the effect of xml namespace
attributes, such as xml:lang, xml:space, and xml:base appearing in ancestor
nodes. To avoid problems due to the non-importation of such attributes into
an enveloped document subset, either they must be explicitly given in the
apex nodes of the XML document subset being canonicalized or they must
always be declared with an equivalent value in every context in which the
XML document subset will be interpreted.
nt subset will be interpreted.