Re: Y5 Exclusive C145n interop; was Re: c14n/exc-c14n interop samples

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 13:31:03 +0100
To: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Hi Christian,

r/geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/2002.06.03/11:18:04
>on your example merlin-c14n-three.tar.gz, question on Reference Number 9
>(c14n-8.txt):
>
><bar:Something xml:lang="en-ie">
>    <foo:Nothing xmlns="http://example.org/">
>      <foo:Something xmlns="">
>        <bar:Something xmlns="http://example.org/">
>          <foo:Something xmlns="">
>            <foo:Nothing xmlns="http://example.org/">
>              <foo:Something xmlns="">
>                <baz:Something xmlns="http://example.org/"></baz:Something>
>              </foo:Something>
>            </foo:Nothing>
>          </foo:Something>
>        </bar:Something>
>      </foo:Something>
>    </foo:Nothing>
>  </bar:Something>
>

>Where do the xmlns="" attributes come from? The document declares the
>default namespace to xmlns="http://example.org/" in the document element
>and is never changed. OK, you omit the xmlns="http://example.org/"
>namespace attribute in these elements, but does this allow to do that?

The default namespace, if present, is made available through
the namespace axis as any other namespace node. Unlike other
namespaces nodes, however, it can be removed from a subtree
by setting its value to "". As any node, I can additionally
remove it with an XPath filter. See the explicit text in the
c14n spec describing how the default namespace node is handled,
if not present in the node set. This applies whether it was
set to "" by the document or removed with an XPath.

Merlin