Re: Exclusive C14n in Apache

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:24:03 -0400
To: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, jboyer@PureEdge.com
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
On Monday 27 May 2002 11:29 am, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> Well, the main difference between inclusive and exclusive c14n is that in
> inclusive c14n, I can simply output the changes to the inscope namespace
> decls. In exclusive c14n, I also have to check whether a namespace is
> visibly utilized. That's the additional overhead. But I have to reduce
> this 1.3-1.6 to a lower level of 1.1-1.2.

Yes, so that should mean for every element one tests to see if the
node.prefix or any of the attributes prefixes are the same as the namespace
prefix avaible in its axis. I haven't dug deeply but in the small tests I
can do, this is a neglible difference in performance (and for other
reasons, exc-c14n tends to be slight faster as the size of the document
grows.) However, I'll also say I'm not expert at this...