Re: newbie Question about PKCS#7

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 10:53, Tom Gindin wrote:
>       That this mechanism exists and is fairly simple is certainly good
> news for people who want to sign mixed sets of data (some XML, some
> straight text or binary).  Could we put a use of this feature in one or
> more of the published examples so that this issue doesn't come up again?

We can't change the spec, it's a REC and Draft Standard. While we could've
used such an example with a different media type, fortunately the spec does
say it can work with any octets, and this example from the spec actually
does sign octets:

URI="http://example.com/bar.xml"
  Identifies the octets that represent the external resource
  'http://example.com/bar.xml', that is probably an XML document
  given its file extension.